If Go the F**k to Sleep doesn’t do the trick here’s our top five expletive-free books to lull little ones to sleep.
1. Tuck Me In by Dean Hacohen & Sherry Scharschmidt. Lift the flaps to tuck the baby animals in. Very sweet and repetitive enough to get those eyes drooping.
2. Husherby by John Burningham. Soothing rhyme and plenty of pictures of tired animals. Baggy-eyed fish always get us yawning.
3. Peace at Last by Jill Murphy. Parental insomnia in bear form. A classic.
4. Peepo by Alan and Janet Ahlberg. Twenty years on we can still recite by heart every single lovely lilting line of this giant among baby books. It should be prescribed on the NHS to all new mothers.
5. The Midnight Farm by Reeve Lindbergh. Poetic Temazepan, the drowsy cadence of the rhyming text - “Here is the dark of the midnight farm, safe and still and full and warm…” will have you both nodding off. Inexplicably out of print, but you can still find it on Amazon.